We're a culture of images. These posts in a way are as much me communicating with you as they are me presenting you with an image of me, though I try to write unselfconsciously. Mostly my posts represent something that weighs on my mind, whether that weight is frivolous or not. This time, I'd like to present to you a gallery of conflicting and intersecting concepts that manifests in my outward behavior a paralysis when faced with buying clothes.
Femininity
Masculinity
Some days I want to look like I rolled out of a ditch and get away with it
Or look ludicrously good without too much fuss.
Utility
There are some things I just will not wear because it lacks all practicality. Like a dress made of gold scales.
What Not to Wear
Trends
Some things will always seem like a better idea than they actually are when they're trending.
Consumerism
I really do not want more shit than I already have
Skill Acquistion
If I'm going to have more stuff, I might as well produce it myself
Right now I'm knitting a sweater
Respectibility
If I ever have to buy a suit for myself I might go mad in the process.
Comfort
I'd wear t-shirts for the rest of my life if the rest of this stuff didn't get in the way
Sexuality
Too much of our outward appearance is used in signalling sexuality and gender. When I had my hair short I was mistaken for male twice. Too much of women's close hinge on the sexy angle.
Attention
Being wholly nondescript is not an option some days, but being ridiculed or feeling uncomfortable is never fine.
The end result is that 95% of my tops are t-shirts, and over half of those are gifts or at least two years old (some are significantly older than that).
I guess rolling out of ditch is winning at the moment.
August 3, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Labels
aggravating
Alien
amazing
animals
animation
art
artist
author
awesome
bad for the psychology
being adult omg
bike
book
childhood
classics
comic
crafts
curiosity
cute
decorating
dedication
director
distractions
doctor who
drawing
dream
dream-like
editorial
family
food
frustration
future
game
garden
geekery
happy
humor
idols
internet
job
knitting
land
literature
living space
looking
magic
maine
malaise
memory
movie
music
myers-briggs
nanowrimo
nature
new england
newsletter
nostalgia
old school
paper
performance
photography
pixar
plants
poetry
print
programming
radio
radiohead
rambling
reality
religion
review
scary
school
science
seeing
serious business
sex
short story
space
spirit guide
spring
story
stupid
superheroes
technology
the soul
thoughts
toy story
tropes
tv
unsolved mysteries
video
videogame
weird
why?
wordle
writing
wtf
zen

2 comments:
i love you.
that was fantastic.
omg... This post is *amazing.* And yes, yes indeed I do relate very much.
Post a Comment