April 3, 2008

Leica on the Moon

So I spent all of my literature class to day alternately listening or thinking up an adventure game called Leica on the Moon. The real Leica was a dog who was sent into Earth's orbit by the Russian space agency and subsequently died in space. In my game things shouldn't end so badly, especially since here Leica will be a robot dog, hence not affected by lack of oxygen. The premise is that you, as Leica, crash land on a moon due to a glitch in your pod's guidance system. Your pod splits in half, and it's your duty to find the other half and repair your pod so you can finish your mission. The moon is like Earth's in that it has dark and light sides, but pretty unlike it in all other respects: The dark side has a frozen ocean and 'plants', the terminus has settlement of small houses, and the light side is a huge desert and has the other half of the ocean. All throughout there is a small population of other robots- some animal like and some are more industrial.

Leica herself is a small white dog, and her tools are her jaws and her legs. Scattered about are tools from the pod that she can operate, but only one at a time with her jaws. In order to store tools she has to bury them for later. If she finds memory banks or power cells she can store tools on her body. The tools are usually sensors or communication devices, but there is one laser knife that can be used as a weapon. Various tools will be needed to advance, obviously, like a solar shield to enter the light side of the moon.
Other robots can teach Leica 'tricks', like sensing electromagnetic fields, long or high jump.
The moon will have relatively 'moon-like' physics.
Now I really have to learn to program, so I can make this!

3 comments:

Zachary said...

It's an amazing idea!
and somehow, I knew it was you who had posted it as I read it!

Arielle said...

thanks!

Anonymous said...

oh, please make this! I haven't played a computer game in so long but Leica on the Moon sounds excellent. you could totally put strange melodic spacey music with ambient spacey sounds in the background... I like the idea of playing a robotic dog much better than playing a human. screw the Sims!